How can I recognize when my roof system has problems?
Many roofing contractors are assigned the task to find out the common problems in roofing systems and hence selecting a right roofing contractor in Tyler, Tx is very important. So, here are the lists of areas where you can discover and inspect the common roof problems. There are a lot of different areas where you can investigate but the lists below are the most common scenarios.
- Weathering :- Due to harsh climate and weather, the roofing material deteriorates with time. In addition, exposure to industrial atmosphere and pollutants may lead to the decay of the roofing material.
- Problems in design :- Problems in design can indeed be quite difficult to correct and if you opt for it then it should be done while the replacement of the roofing material is taking place. Some of the examples to illustrate it are:- Inadequate drainage system or improper roof slope which may result in the accumulation of water.
- Lack of maintenance :- This is one of the common roof problems, especially in low sloped roofs. It can lead to accumulation of water and sediments that can typically destroy the material of the roof.
- Rooftop Equipment :- It is quite easy to install different materials on the rooftop such as satellite antenna, A/C compressor etc. You should pay proper attention while installing these kinds of equipment. Make sure that you don’t mount directly on the top of the roof. Make sure that you mount to a support structure. You can use curb flashing to make the roof watertight and hence it can be done without removing the equipment.
- Metal Base flashings :- These kinds of flashings don’t last for a long period of time and perhaps it easily gets separated from bituminous materials. The expansion and contraction can produce cracks which can cause the water to enter through it which may further damage the surface. It is recommended that you replace Metal base flashings with bituminous base flashings.
- Drain flashings :- It is not easy to install a lot of drain openings. The drain system of the building should have a lot of drain openings and it should have adequate drainage components. Make sure that you include overflow scuppers so that accumulation of water can be avoided. Furthermore, proper maintenance should be provided in all these areas.
- Flashing materials :- The major function of flashing is providing a watertight seal in roofing materials, roofing sections and perhaps in aspects of the building. This is an area where the inspection should be done carefully. Improper sealing, incorrect installation can cause the water to enter the roofing structure as well as roofing systems. In addition, if you install a flash over a joint can certainly eliminate the problem if you detect it in the early stage of construction.
- Penetration Flashings :- Large or small penetration flashings can fail in a lot of ways. An example to illustrate is:-
- Improper design
- Broken seams might be present in metal curbs due to movement of buildings.
- Counter flashings would be deteriorated.
- Metal surfaces would not be finished properly.
- Water might be present in the penetration curbs.